I been sending the usual links I would hoard for this occasional post over to twitter. But, it has been too long, yes? Some links to tide over the long Sunday:[play Cohen's Avalanche, Famous Blue Raincoat as you read]
- Jacqueline Rose, A Piece of White Silk, LRB is absolutely must-read – for such careful examination of anything, let alone honor killing, is rare in our times.
- Tracy McVeigh, Ending the silence on ‘honour killing’.
- Julian Barnes, On we sail on Guy de Maupassant.
- Robert Irwin reviews Eugene Rogan’s The Arabs: A History. I need to grab me a copy.
- Jonathan Raban, American Pastoral, NYRB, looks at Dorothea Lange’s life and work.
- Gore Vidal is opinionated in The Atlantic.
- Ron Artest, Afghan Women. Yeah, I cannot explain it, either.
- Simon Schama knows Martin Scorcese.
- Hari Kunzru, Nowhere to hide looks at the movies of Michael Haneke. Very much recommended.
- Finally, the Big Picture on Conflict in Pakistan.
Add:John McWhorter, The Cosmopolitan Tongue: The Universality of English, World Affairs, ships the culture cart and the language horse on the QE2 to the new world.