Threw a kick-ass Halloween party last night and had a blast. Lots of friends and lovers and tons of pirate kids. Went this morning to a GOTV training session. Felt empowered until I was reminded of my non-voting status. Boo. I live in Chicago. I can vote, right Mayor Daley?
- So what if losing the election turns out to be a better deal? That is the question posed by Drake Bennett in the Boston Globe. Uh, no.
- It’s victor v. Victor in the‚Ä†Ukrainian elections going on right now. From the sizable crowd gathered this afternoon outside the Ukraine Consul in Chicago, I say, go victor.
- Will Hutton in a piece in the Guardian says to forget about the election because American conservatism has already won comprehensively. Of course, he uses Tom Franks’ What’s Wrong with Kansas? Franks is really smart and I am only a third into the book but there is something not right with his thesis. Will say more once I finish the book.
- Twenty years ago, today, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards. If you remember her policies towards the Sikh separatists and the aftermath of her death on Sikh population in Punjab, that picture of Manmohan Singh appears that much incredible. Viva Democracy.
- Speaking of Democracy, Eric Hobsbawm would like a moment of your time.
- If an incumbent is up for re-election, the result of the Redskins game is a good one to note. Bush loses.