Just wanted to highlight a few things to ruin a nice Sunday. It happened to me. It could happen to you:
- From Chicago Tribune [r.r], comes the profile of Muhammad Atta. It is a chilling piece and one that shows the risk we run by de-humanizing those murderers.
- The Independent says that the risk is there because we have 70,000 al-Qaeda operatives at large. Did they get a hold of the al-Qaeda pledge drive records? no. Some twit just made up that number.
- Juan Cole, no twit, does have a sobering report card for the War on Terror. He says that al-Qaeda achieved in Iraq what it was hoping to achieve in Afghanistan – a guerilla war.
- Dawn quotes the Opposition Leader in Pakistan threatening to import that brilliant Iraqi-style guerilla war. That’s very appropriate of Mr. Fazl ur-Rahman. Who, furthermore, claims that the US investigations has “cleared” Usama b. Laden of involvement in 9/11. This guy is insane. Thank god we have a military dictator. Hey, Field-Marshall-to-be, do something dictatorial, will you? Send Mr. Fazl ur-Rahman gift subscriptions to a few decent newspapers and a “honorary” press-attach√à.
- In the Guardian, V.S. Naipul does his own impression of a nut-case. Forget guerilla wars, he wants to destroy Saudi Arabia and Iran. Among the Believers, Indeed.
- In the Washington Post, a Muslim congregation in Virginia endures FBI scrutiny from the outside and questions about the role of Islam post 9/11 from the inside.
- And the Reuters tells us to re-set our personal doomsday clocks, please.
- And finally, BBC-Cricket says the Aussies are “chomping at the bit” to play the US. Hmmm…Superman v an ant-hill would be more competitive. Heck, NZ beat the US by ONLY 210 runs.