20 million people affected. To be “affected” means to somehow be in need of humanitarian assistance because of the flooding. As of Saturday the official death toll was 1,384, with 1,680 people reported as injured. Over 722,000 houses damaged or destroyed. 6 million people do not have access to clean water. 3.5 million children are at risk of contracting deadly water-born diseases, like diarrhea. [via]
- Himal Mag Indus Flood Relief [non-US]
- Relief for Pakistan [US]
- Avaaz.org: Pakistan Floods [US/non-US]
- Doctors Without Borders [US/non-US]
- Human Development Foundation Chicago [US]
- Asia Society Pakistan Flood Response Webcast with Richard Holbrooke, August 19, at 8:30AM [US]
- Anyone in the United States can now text the word “SWAT” to 50555 to give $10 and help these flood victims. Every $10 helps provide tents and emergency aid to displaced families. When prompted, reply with “YES” to confirm your gift.